Friday 4 January 2013

2013: The Plan

I've been trying to think what my quilty and not-so-quilty goals are for this year. I'm blogging them so I can keep myself accountable at the end of the year.

In the not-so-quilty arena of my life I've decided my mantra will be Balance. Balance between spending quality time with all three kids, quality time with my man, keeping the house from total disrepair (I'm not much of a cleaning freak) and having 'me' time (*cough* sewing).

I don't ever sew while my kids are awake - it's only usually when the boys are at school and the little one is asleep, or after they're all in bed. But I do find my mind floating toward quilt ideas, or doing a little stash diving, or occasionally a little cutting while they're awake. I'd like to be more present for them all the time, and just 'think quilts' when they're not around. Not too hard, I guess. Getting quality time with my super patient partner is a little more tricky - that can only really happen after the kids go to sleep, right? And that's the bulk of my 'me' time where I really like to sew. It hasn't really been a problem in the last year or so, as he's been working interstate a huge amount. But he's very close to getting a new job which will mean he's home all the time (which is absolutely freaking awesome). Just not sure how I'll balance it.

Quilty wise, I've made a decision (a huge, huge, huge one for me) not to buy any fabric this year, background and backing fabric included where at all possible. I'm going to work from my stash as much as I possibly can. My only departure from this will be Architextures (which Becca will be getting in next week and I've organised to buy a bundle already, but that will be it. Promise.)

I didn't make any quilts to sell last year (apart from a couple of commissions) and I really want to start up again. Last year was much more about building skills for me, but I want to get more back to the business side of quilting. I'm hoping to strike a balance here too though, and still make some for gifts and the family :o)

I would really like 2012 to be the year of finishes - more on that when I link up for the FAL next week :o)

Horrible photo, but I really want to finish my Hopscotch quilt ;o)

I'd like to continue building my FMQ skills as well. I tried to move away from stippling last year and had so much fun doing it.

The only post-washing photo I've shown. So snuggly now!

Another biggy is not to overcommit. I've already decided not to do the next round of the Modern 4x5 Bee, and I'm not sure if I'll do any swaps this year (we'll see - they're extremely tempting!) Last year was pretty frantic and I didn't keep up with bees (still way behind there) - I would really like to this year, and I think less commitments will mean I'm more likely to...

They're the main ones at this point. I'm sure I'll think of more as the year goes on, but it's a good list for now, me thinks!

Do you have any grand plans for this year? I'd love to hear!
xx Jess

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

Spending quality time with my boyfriend should be my first and only goal this year. I'm obsessed with everything sewing related and we spend most of our nights in different rooms doing our thing. And it makes me sad. So way to go for that goal !!

Quilting goal - yay for you ! I'm still very much afraid to try anything else than stippling. I practive swirls the other day but yeah no.. they don't look so good to me.

Good luck with the no fabric buying ! That's a hard one :)

Kelsey said...

Similar to you, I really need to stop over-committing! Every group/swap/bee I read about sounds so awesome and I *have* to sign up and then I get stressed and behind and the sewing isn't as much fun! I too want to work more towards quilty business as well!

Jessica said...

Good goals to have. I'm impressed with your balancing act already between the kids and quilting. My goal is to focus - I think I'll be blogging more this coming week about it.

Sarah said...

Great goals, and I wish you best of luck!

Jess @ Scrappy n Happy said...

Balance is a great goal...I am thinking about joining the FAL too, I have sooooo many WIPs and UFOs it is crazy! Really need to finish some!

Natasha said...

I am still working on my goals. One that I have already been working on is doing random kindness. I have a large family and out of the blue i sent a small box of fabric and goodies to my niece who just started quilting. Not sure what to call it but I want to do something special for one or two people a month.

Melissa said...

I'm with you on the FMQ skills! I ventured into pebbles and paisley last year and I'm putting them to use right now. I'm quilting my Groove quilt similar to what you did - a different texture for each color! I'm feeling so confident about FMQ these days - my stitches are getting so even! Time to try the more difficult designs :)

Di said...

Good goals for 2013. As the children get older you do get more free time so it will all change again! Di x

needle and nest said...

Wonderful goals! I like that you're striving to work mainly from your stash, and I can't wait to see what you come up with. :) My own goals are a mix of personal and sewing: plan meals better, make less trips to the grocery store (this goes well with meal planning), finish my two postage stamp quilts, start and finish my son's quilt and maybe, just maybe start a quilt for my dad. I'm sure I'll have other projects squeezed in there somewhere, but I'm trying to keep in modest now that I have a new baby to care for in addition to my other two sweeties. :)

Tiffany said...

I agree with all of your goals. Especially the one about balance. I try to only sew when the kids are asleep, but sometimes it is so tempting to work on something while they play quietly in the corner...

Jeannette Bruce said...

Great goals! I'm with you on the using from the stash this year. Luckily, I've already bought architextures (which was my one of my best purchases of 2012). Balance is great too, kids are only young once but you need time for you as well!

Jennifer said...

great goals, i'm with you, i'm slacking off on the bees this year as well as the swaps.. i'm also cutting back on my personal fabric shopping (got the shop underway and I want to focus on that)... good luck with yours, i'd love to be able to finish my UFO lists as well.. i'll motivate you if you motivate me! haha

Katy Cameron said...

Good luck with the goals! I don't think I can promise no fabric buying, but right enough, I think I've bought everything i'll need for a long time! I'm also trying not to sign up for things either...

Catherine said...

I have decided no fabric for the first 3 months of the year and then see how I go. I definitely have enough stash!

Alyce @ Blossom Heart Quilts said...

I hear ya on the balancing side of things. I do sew sometimes when the kids are around as I'm set up in their playroom so we're still "together", but it's when to sew and when to snuggle at night to TV that I struggle with too! Can never decide...

Carla said...

I think our bee will be done in a few months. I joined two more swaps, so I'll keep busy ; )

Janine @ Rainbow Hare said...

Good luck with those goals. I'm resolved not to sign up for so many things and to work from stash as much as possible too. Trying to balance everything seems to be an endless quest :)

Kelly said...

Sounds like a good plan, I could do with following your lead on the fabric buying ;-)

Benta AtSLIKstitches said...

Very impressed with anyone who has a 'plan'. Hope you can do the A team quote at the end: I love it when a plan comes together!